baby

baby development

Wednesday, March 18, 2009

How to pick a name?

A girlfriend of mine is debating what to name her daughter and it got me thinking...it's amazing that as parents, we get to pick the names for our children. We are basically setting them up for the rest of their lives with names that have different meanings and associations attached to them. My question is for all women - parents, pregnant, or considering children down the line - how did you (or will you) pick a name for your child?

My kids have very different stories. Coming up with a name for a child is one of the hardest things I have ever done! There were names I swore I would use when I was younger and honestly, I haven't used any of them on my childen.

Brady was never going to be a Brady at all. He was going to be "Paul Jeffrey" or "PJ." Since I didn't find out the sex before he was born, I also had Rose Emetie (both are family names) picked out for a girl. The night before my c-section, I KNEW that if I was having a boy, he was NOT a Paul Jeffrey OR a PJ. He was a Brady. I sent a very urgent e-mail to George (who was in Iraq at the time) to let him know about this feeling - it was 12am, I was having the c-section at 10am. George said to wait until we knew what the baby was, then make the decision based on what he looked like. Edward (Brady's middle name) is my deceased grandfather's name. George consented, but he did make a condition that when we decided to have another child, that we not change the name at all once it was picked.

Lexi's name was totally different. We agreed on boy and girl names in the first trimester: Alexandria Helen (where we had our first date and George's grandmother's name) and Davis Cole (Davis is his other grandmother's maiden name) or "DC" for where we are from. We liked that we could put part of where we are from into either kid's name. Once we agreed, we also agreed on no last minute changes. I was having second thoughts about the middle name (I wanted to use Rose again - it's my mother's middle name), but since I honored one of my relatives in Brady's name, it seemed fair to let George do he same in Lexi's name.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember when you had those "original" names all picked out. I was so shocked when you said you named your son Brady. I have my reasons for liking certain names for any children I might have in the future. One name is my mother AND grandmother's middle name. The other is my grandfather's name. Hope things are going well for you, Miss Martha Stewart. ;)

Anonymous said...

I find this post to be so fitting, b/c it's true. I think all women have certain names picked out that they "love" and will use, but then the baby(s) are born and it all changes. It definitely is amazing that we do pick out our babies' names, which follows them their whole lives, for better or worse. I know I've met some people that just didn't "fit" their names, LOL.