baby

baby development

Monday, August 10, 2009

Training and BMI

I've been trying to get into better shape (as much as I can with just exercising and no dieting since I'm still breastfeeding). I'm signed up to run a 10K this Saturday, the Air Force half marathon on September 19, and the Army 10-miler on October 4.

Training was going great until about July 27. I had an awful run that day, hurting my hip. I spent about 2 weeks nursing that back to normal only to hurt my back last Friday. I literally have NO idea how I hurt my back but it's been incredibly frustrating and stressful having these injuries, knowing I have races scheduled and knowing I'm making them harder with every run I have to miss.

That said, it's been wonderful to get back into a size 10 comfortably. I can get into my size 8's, but it's a stretch and not comfortable. But, it makes sense, given the following:

First, I found a great BMI calculator online: http://bmicalculatorforfemales.com/default.aspx

I used it today and I figure, if I share the information, maybe it will motivate me to change it!

Height: 5 feet, 7.25 inches
Neck: 13 inches
Forearm: 8 inches
Wrist: 5.75 inches
Hips: 40 inches
Weight: 163 pounds

These measurements put my body at 38.33% body fat. Talk about disappointing! I know I had a baby 6 months ago, but WOW. I really didn't think I was that out of shape. However, it does give me something to work for - as in, anything lower than that!



On another, happier, note - Lexi is 6 months old today! I can't believe the time has gone so fast. She's sitting on her own and scooting in a circle, drooling everywhere, and loves her exersaucer. Petting the dog, smiling at anyone who smiles first, and being outside also top her list of favorite things. She's just so happy and social - much more so than I can remember Brady being. I also can't believe I've made it 6 months with breastfeeding. I reached my goal! Though, not without struggles, frustrations, and near-defeat a number of times. I want my body back, but I know that providing Lexi with the best start possible is more important, so my new goal is 8 months. If I can make it to 8 months (and through the first tooth or 3), I'll push for a year. I know it will fly by, but I am trying not to think about the one-year mark quite yet. Eight months is a good short-term goal.

No comments: