Breastfeeding has got to be one of the hardest things to do for new moms. It's supposed to be "natural" and "instinctual" but for a lot of moms it is very tough. I really only enjoy it when I can tell that Lexi is getting a good feeding (instead of playing around) or when I pump and get enough to put away in the freezer for date nights and vacation. One of the hardest parts for me is not being able to lose the pregnancy weight and being stuck in clothes I'm not 100% comfortable in. While you're breastfeeding, you should be taking in an additional 300-500 calories each day from your normal amount, which varies depending on each woman's activity level, weight and nutritional status. That puts me at anywhere from 1800-2200 calories each day - much higher than the 1500 (avg) I ate each day when I was losing weight before I got pregnant last year.
I decided a couple of weeks ago that since I cannot diet (due to breastfeeding and wanting it to be successful for at least 6 months), I was going to exercise. I haven't found anything in my breastfeeding research that says I cannot run! The last major thing I trained for was the 2006 Miami marathon and I loved the feeling of accomplishment I felt when I crossed the finish line. While I don't think I can handle another 26.2 miles, I AM confident I can be in shape and run 13.1.
I am signed up for the Army 10-miler with Whitney on October 4. I'm excited since it will be Whitney and I's first race together. It's always easier to run a race with someone and who better to run with than your best friend? :)
I am also signed up for the Air Force half-marathon. It's held September 19 at Wright-Patterson AF Base in Ohio. A sorority sister who's husband is deployed turned me on to this race (thanks Stacy!!). Her husband will be home by then and they are planning to run together, but it's nice to have a "training partner" right now who's in the states. I'm excited to see Stacy, thank her husband for his service and sacrifice, and get my run on!
I'm excited to have these runs to look forward to. I have to keep telling myself that, especially today. I went on my first run in over a year last night. I ran 1.1 miles in 13:40 (12:25/mile). Even though it was slow, I'm in a world of hurt today. I'm sore all over and I've had an awful headache since I finished the run. I'm even really dizzy. I have tried ibuprofen, water, and sleep to shake it - no dice, though. I let myself have my usual cup of coffee this morning, but I am bac on the water hardcore. If I am dehydrated, I want to feel better before I take the kids on a walk this afternoon. I decided for my first week, I'm going to run every other day and walk on the days in between to keep my muscles moving and to break down the lactic acid that's built up. I'm loving the stretching, though! If the kids cooperate and nap at the same time, I may try some yoga or pilates right here in the living room.
Last thing on the fitness front - I'm getting a bicycle for cross-training. We got a nice sized rebate from the credit card our Costco account is attached to (thank you Amex!), so I'm going to buy a bicycle next weekend with some/most of it. George said I could get a trailer, too, so that the kids can ride in it behind me and I can work out while earlier in the day as it gets warmer. I'm not rushing my little Lexi to grow up, but I can't wait for her to get some better head/neck control so that I can use the double jogger and the bike trailer.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






No comments:
Post a Comment